February 2, 2007

The title of my blog...

I immediately regret this decision! Of course this line is from Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy. Ron jumps down into a panda bear habitat to (I forget which one...) save his girlfriend or to get the scoop on the panda's new baby. The moment he gets into the habitat, he utters his famous phrase: "I IMMEDIATELY REGRET THIS DECISION."

This is how I feel much of the time. I seem to have a problem thinking through important decisions and I have trouble valuing the future. Many times I just need some satisfaction right this moment; which, of course, applies to money, relationships, school work, etc. It's not that I don't think about what is best, I just can't value it properly since I can always take care of that later, so to speak.

I've made some pretty crappy decisions and some real good ones but in both cases it was unlikely that I was thinking about my long term future. I think that I like to convince myself that what I want is what I need. Clearly that is not always the case; in fact, it's RARELY the case.

Obviously every decision we make leads to more decisions and if I had to trace them all back to a significant point in my life, it would have to be February 7, 1998. I started playing football in jr high so the people I hung out with were football players. And they were very stereotypical jocks, looking for girls and trying to get booze. This really wasn't my style (and I was kindof the tagalong starting in high school) but they were popular and I wanted to be with the in-crowd. That all changed on Feb 7, I told them that if they wanted to hang out with me that they could call me, I wasn't going to go out of my to be their friend if they didn't want me to be. They didn't call me.

We remained friends throughout high school (mainly because I saw them every day at practice and such) but I began hanging out with a neighbor friend of many years. This was the preppy smart kids group, I NEVER looked back. Quite a turning point in my life. I gave up what I thought to be the cool kids for the normal guys (which turned out to be the cool kids by our senior year when we were all student body officers :P).

So what's the point of all this? Don't be afraid to make a hard decision, just be sure you're ready to make the decision.

That was long, and mostly pointless, but it's nice to make it official! And that's the story of my blog title....


"Did that blow your mind, because that just happened."

No comments:

 
--------------- ---------------